Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Green Cadillacs


From BusinessWeek Green Biz
The new hybrid design is a smart blend, combining a new organization of the gas-electric drive train with GM's existing engine technology that imperceptibly turns off cylinders at cruising speeds. The combination improves mileage at both low speeds in the city and at high speeds while cruising on highways. GM pledges this approach will deliver a 20-25% mileage boost overall, even on big SUVs and pickups, and without sacrificing the horsepower American car buyers crave.


Reading about General Motor's laggard response to our consumption concerns, a hybrid Escalade would be nice...
But the gas mileage might still only be 12 MPG with that big 6.2L engine they use !


Soon there after, the 2-mode hybrid will appear in 2008 models, including a hybrid Cadillac Escalade

My current 1998 Cadillac Eldorado was one of the first GM models to introduce the turning off of cylinders at highway speeds, and it makes a considerable difference in my gas mileage. From around 20-22 MPG in the city and on my commute to work. While when I'm cruising to New York on 95N going at least 70 the whole time, I see around 30 MPG. All the while I've been wondering,

"Why hasn't this system been incorporated into all their V8 engines?"

And a few years ago I read about a 'Hydrogen Combustion Adapter' to retrofit existing gas engines to allow the burning temp of the gas to get much higher because of the hydrogen injected. This led to stated MPG gains of 40% on the SUV's they were fitting them on. I believe it was a Canadian company that made it. I haven't been able to find anything else on it since. Anyone hear of this ?
I'd love to get 40 MPG cruising a '59 beauty...

No comments: